instagram twitter pinterest pinterest

Monday 12 June 2017

YELLOW SUNNIES AND FEELING INSECURE





 So, I gave in and bought some of those weird 'peodophile-esque' yellow aviator sunglasses. There is just something about them which personally I think is quite cool. Sometimes I catch myself in the mirror and think 'what ARE you doing?!' but I think they're alright and when worn with the right thing, they make an outfit. 

The weather is actually pretty good in England right now, it's warm and we've had quite a few really sunny days. Here I'm wearing a long wide legged black jumpsuit, I picked this up in the New York Brandy Melville last summer and it is still a firm favourite. It's really flattering, and the back is super pretty (I know my bra is on show but I don't really mind that look!) I think it looks so chilled and casual just worn with trainers or some sliders. It's a great 'pub evening' outfit. 

I wanted to touch on a few struggles I've been dealing with over the past couple of weeks. I've struggled with self confidence and feeling overly insecure. I'll catch myself in the mirror and feel deflated for the rest of the day, or I'll see a picture of me or attempt to take a nice selfie after I've spent an hour doing my make-up but.. no luck. Don't get me wrong, I have days where I feel like this but I've never really felt like this constantly and I've never allowed it to really affect my mood or confidence. 

A major aspect of this is comparison. Comparison is an awful thing. You should never compare yourself to others but, realistically we all do it to an extent. I'll be out and a girl will walk past and my instant thoughts will be 'her skin is so clear, why isn't mine like that?' or 'her hair falls perfectly round her face and mine is flat and shit'. It's horrible and I know that I'm doing it but I can't stop it. Social media is also a major player. I work in social media and I'm aware of how beneficial it can be.. however for your own self-confidence, it can be disastrous. Seeing all these glowing, lip plumped, long lashed women with crazy abs and peachy bums can be well, soul destroying at times. 

I think now I've got to the point where I've acknowledged the way I'm feeling and what is making me feel like this, I need to decide what to do to help. Nothing is going to cure or stop it, I just need to accept it. Once you can accept yourself, you feel a lot happier. You need to accept that sometimes you will look like shit, and your skin will break out, and your hair will be flat, you will look a little bloated (or a lot) and you eyeliner will be wonky. That is fine. I'm really hoping this doesn't sound to cheesy or cliche, this is just really how I'm feeling and I thought by writing it all down into a blog post could also help others who are feeling the same as me. 

Please do let me know if you're going through a similar thing and what you think helps?! 
Life can be shit, but not all the time.







No comments:

Post a Comment